Dear John B. Sliney Families,
As noted in Superintendent Hernandez’s last correspondence with families on Friday, March 12th, the BPS Elementary Schools will be returning to the full (5 days a week) in-person instructional model on Monday, March 22, 2021. We are very excited for this opportunity and look forward to working with all of you to make this transition as smooth as possible for all students, staff and families! We understand that this is an exciting time for our students but this also comes with some challenges and trepidation. Please know that the JBS Staff and I are always available to you for any questions or concerns that you may have regarding this transition!
As a school community, we will continue to support our students, families and staff through these unprecedented times. I want to take this opportunity to thank our JBS teachers and staff for their continued efforts to provide the students with on-going rigorous learning experiences and a safe learning environment for all our students!
Below is important information for all families to know as we move into the full in-person model:
Starting on Monday, 3/22/2021
Elementary SCHOOL HOURS: 8:40 A.M. to 3:25 P.M., Monday-Friday
JBS Elementary Health and Safety Mitigation Measures for Full In-Person
- Face coverings/masks are required of all students/staff that enter buildings.
- Cohorting is in place by individual K-4 classrooms. K classrooms will no longer be in separate rooms.
- Frequent hand-washing will take place throughout the day for students/staff.
- Enhanced cleaning will take place in classrooms after-school hours daily.
- In most classrooms, desks in classrooms will be 3 ft or less apart. Plexi-glass barriers will be placed on each student desk in Grades K-4.
- Currently, lunch for students will be held in classrooms. However, when weather permits, we plan to have students eat outside with staff supervision.
- At this time, Specials will take place in classrooms. This may change at a later date. All students will receive PE, STEM, Art, Library and Music throughout the week starting on March 22, 2021.
JBS School Arrival Procedures ~ We will continue with the same procedures since the beginning of the school year. Please be advised that with the higher student density, arrival and dismissal will take longer than expected. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
- The building opens for students at 8:40 AM.
- If you drop your child off, please drive all the way up Eades Street and remain in your car until a staff member signals you to have your child exit the vehicle.
- Children will be escorted into the building by the assigned staff into the designated entrances for each grade level.
JBS School Dismissal and Pick-Up Procedures: Pick-Ups will begin at 3:15pm and Bus Dismissal will begin at 3:25pm. Please be advised that with the higher student density, arrival and dismissal will take longer than expected. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
- We will continue with the same dismissal procedures for Pick-Ups since the beginning of the school year. Please remember to have your car tags ready to show staff members when you pick up your child.
- For Grades K-1 pick-up students, parents will park on Prospect Street and students will exit the building by the Sliney Playground.
- For Grades 2-4, pick-up students will be dismissed from the cafeteria and parents will park on Eades Street. It should only be under extreme circumstances that students need an early pick up prior to 3:15.
- PARENTS MUST SEND A NOTE to the teacher by email and/or the main office @ firstname.lastname@example.org if there is a change in your child’s dismissal schedule.
SACC: Hours for the Morning SACC program will be 7am-8:40am. The program will be held in the JBS cafeteria. The afternoon SACC program will be held at Tisko School. Students will be transported by bus to Tisko if they are scheduled to go to SACC.
Food Services: BREAKFAST ~ ALL Students are able to receive a grab and go breakfast when they arrive at school. Two Kiosks will be set up for students to access the breakfast quickly and safely. LUNCH ~ will be served in the classroom. Teachers will ask their students to place their lunch order when they arrive in the morning. Teachers convey the lunch orders electronically to the cafeteria.
Recess: All students will continue to receive 20 minutes of recess daily. Teachers will be supervising their students during recess. Classes will go outside weather permitting. Recess will take place at the Sliney Playground and at Hammer Field. These areas have been designated for playground use for each class in order to adhere to the CDC social distancing guidelines and to maintain the use of cohorts by classroom.
Voluntary Remote Option Reminders:
If you are currently enrolled in the voluntary remote option and would like for your child to return to the full in-person district model, please complete the form below. Please note that returning to the district's model may take up to 10 days to process.
Information and link to Return to District Model form:
If you would like for your child to be enrolled in the voluntary remote learning option, please complete the form below. This option is for families that would like for their child to learn from from home.
Information and link to VRO form:
Thank you for your continued support as we continue to navigate through this transition! Please contact me with any questions @ (203) 314-0129 or email@example.com.
Maria Clark, Principal