School Year 2021-2022 Pre-K Registration FAQs
Branford Public Schools offers a one-time Pre-Kindergarten experience at all three elementary schools for eligible 4 & 5 year-olds (see below).
Each school has an AM and PM class of 18 students.
Online registration for Pre-K opens on Monday, March 1, 2021
For Online Registration:
- ●Click Visit www.branfordschools.org
- ●Click “Menu”
- ●Scroll to “Parent Resources”
- ●Click on “New Student Registration”
- Registration is ongoing.
- While parents/guardians may express a preference for AM/PM sessions, placement will be dependent on registration numbers.
- If there are more students than available slots at a school as of 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021, a lottery will be held the following week.
- Registration applications must be completed before the 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021, deadline to qualify for the lottery.
- Any Pre-K registrations completed after 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021, will not be included in this lottery process, even if the registration was started before that deadline.
- Enrollment confirmations begin the week of May 10, 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- ●How old does my child need to be to enroll in the BPS Pre-Kindergarten?
- ●What is the enrollment process for BPS Pre-Kindergarten in the elementary schools?
- ○After registering online, parents/guardians should schedule an appointment for an in-person or virtual meeting with Mrs. Susan Wallace at email@example.com or call (203) 315-6723.
- ●What documents do I need to give to the school to register my student?
- ●How many Pre-Kindergarten openings are available at each elementary school?
- ●Will I have a choice in which session my child attends?
- ●Is there a bus available to bring my child outside the attendance zone of the school to a private child care provider?
- ●When can I visit the classroom?
- ○Conditions and restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic continue to evolve. Once children are enrolled in their Pre-Kindergarten classrooms, principals and/or teachers will communicate with individual families about plans for orientation.
- ●Is there before and/or after school care available for Kindergarten students ?
○ All Pre-Kindergarten children need to be 4 years old by Jan 1, 2022.
○ Children turning five between September 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021, are also eligible to enroll if they have not previously attended Pre-Kindergarten in any Branford Public Schools program.
○ Registrar Appointment Hours:
Monday & Wed:
1pm to 7pm
Noon to 5:30pm
10am to 4pm
8am to 2pm
○ See below for additional details regarding the documents you’ll need to provide.
○ If there are more students than available slots at a school as of 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021, a lottery will be held during the following week.
○ Any pre-K registrations completed after 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021, will not be included in this lottery process.
○ Lottery students who do not get in will be offered the option of being placed on a waitlist.
○ Once the lottery is conducted, unfilled seats will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. If all slots are filled, registrants will be added to the waitlist.
○ On June 15, 2021, if available slots remain in any schools, students on waitlists from other schools will be offered those slots. In the event there is more than one school with a waitlist, students from Title I schools will be given preference.
○ Registrations after June 15, 2021, will continue to be enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on the availability of open slots. Any student not able to enroll will be placed on the waitlist and families will be notified should a slot become available.
○ Two different proofs of residency - both documents must:
■ show your name and your Branford residence address
■ show the date and be dated within 90 days (if a date is not visible it will not be accepted)
■ be computer-generated (typed)
○ Proof of child’s age (birth certificate, passport, signed doctor’s record with child’s full name)
○ Copy of last physical exam (dated between September 2020 and September 2021) and immunizations record
○ Documents may be uploaded to the online registration form
○ There are 36 available seats at each elementary school
■ 18 seats AM session 8:55 -11:25
■ 18 seats PM session 12:55 - 3:25
○ You will state a preference at registration which is not a guarantee .
○ While we will try to accommodate parent/guardian preferences, final decisions regarding AM/PM enrollment will be based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to parent requests.
No. However, in the rare instance when a bus passes a private child care provider home/facility, an exception may be made. Situations are handled on a case-by-case basis.
○ Before and after school care for Kindergarten through Grade 6 students is available through the School Age Child Care (SACC) program.
○ Students who attend Pre-Kindergarten at a BPS elementary school may also be eligible for SACC participation. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
○ Contact information:
■ SACC Program: 203-481-5066
Specific questions regarding your child should be directed to the principal at your child’s elementary school.
 If you do not have any of these or similar documents, or if you are homeless, we can still assist you in enrolling for school. Please contact our district registration office so that we can assist you.