Dear Staff and BPS Families:
Once again, we grieve because of senseless violence in schools. Our District is committed to school safety. In recent years we have made a number of security improvements to our facilities with more planned for this summer. We have also increased the number of security guards in our larger buildings. These efforts, coupled with our close relationship with our local police department, increase the safety of our learning environments. With your assistance and support the entire school community can enhance our collective safety by doing the following:
- Do not prop open doors.
- Only allow individuals into buildings through the main entrance, where they can be buzzed in.
- Direct adults you see in the building without proper BPS badges to the main office and contact security or the building principal.
- If you see something, say something.
- As a parent/guardian, routinely monitor your child’s social media.
- Talk to our children about how they are feeling and reassure them.
- Access resources for how to speak to children about difficult topics here.
Working together we take great strides toward creating learning environments that are safe and supportive for our students and staff.
Hamlet M. Hernandez
Superintendent of Schools