Dear JBS Families,
On February 7, 2023, we will be celebrating the 100th Day of School! I am so PROUD of all of our students and staff for all their hard work and love for learning. We celebrate individual classrooms and staff members on a regular basis by giving out a special "GOLDEN GIRAFFE!" This past week, Mr. Jacobson's 3rd Grade Class was nominated for the Golden Giraffe for their perseverance and determination to always "strive to be their best!" In addition, Ms. Pustari, one of our Kindergarten Teachers received the Golden Giraffe for always " going above and beyond '' for her students to reach their reading and math goals. Congratulations to all the classrooms and staff members that have received this recognition so far this year!!
February 1, 2023 marked the first day of Black History Month as well as KINDNESS MONTH. In February, we celebrate and honor the many brave and resilient individuals that have contributed to the struggle for equality in the US and especially during the Civil Rights Movement. Here are some activities that students will participate in for Black History.
- Throughout the month, guest readers will visit classrooms to read picture books and other texts to teach our students more about famous Black Americans. .
- During morning announcements, inspirational quotes by Black Americans will be shared with the school community.
- Students will participate in a cultural arts assembly on 2/17. The Afro-Brazilian Dance Performers will be coming to our school. Thank you to PTA for organizing this for students.
- Students and staff have access to the JBS Black History Choice Board created by Maria Melillo, our Library Media Specialist. These resources are available online. Please click here: JBS Black History Choice Board. We also have a large selection of books and resources in the JBS library.
- The Gallery of Heroes Project was sent home last week. Please submit your entries on February 13, 2023.
For KINDNESS MONTH, we sent home paper hearts to decorate. For this project, please write and/or draw one way that your family shows kindness. Return them to the main office on 2/9/23 with your child's name and classroom teacher. We hope that these projects help all families stay connected with what students are learning at school. Thank you in advance for your participation!
Here are some updates and reminders:
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr - Poster and Writing Contest
We had an overwhelming response from students this year for this concert! Thank you to all students in Grades K-4 for your participation. Certificates will be given to students this coming week!
Parent- Teacher Conferences - February 7, 2023 and February 16, 2023:
- We look forward to seeing all of you at conferences! Please sign up with your child's classroom teacher if you haven't already done so. Our goal is to have 100% participation.
- Ms. Jenna Olenoski, School Behavioral Health Clinician, will have a table set up in the main entrance hallway for any questions or if you'd like to sign up for her services. She provides weekly and long-term mental health therapy to any student at JBS.
- Parent Coffee Chat with Dr. Clark will be held in the library on 2/7 and 2/16 during conference hours. Please stop by to say hello or chat if you have any questions. Specific times will be provided next week.
- If your child is unable to attend school for any reason, please call the main office to report the child's absence each day that he/she is absent. Please report your absence by calling the main office at (203) 481-5386 by 9:15 AM. Per CT state law, we are required to report unexcused absences.
Thank you for entrusting your child/children in our care. Your continued support and partnership in your child's educational experience at Sliney are very much appreciated!
Warm regards, Maria Clark
Principal of John B. Sliney Elementary School
2/7: 100th Day
2/7: Early Release for Students Only; Parent Conferences - Day/Evening
2/10: Favorite Sports Team Day, Bring $1 for 4th Grade Student Council
2/14: PTA Meeting @ 4:00 PM
2/15: Early Release Day for Students Only
2/16: Parent Conferences - Evening Only
2/17: PTA Candyland Ball -Someone Special Dance 6-8PM
2/23: PTA Sliney Cultural Celebration - 6-7:30PM
2/25: Sliney Singers Performance @ Webster Bank Arena